Friday, February 6, 2009

Calories and Competition

You may or may not know this about me... but I have a very competitive side.
There are certain times when this side comes out in full force. One of those times would be during games. I LOVE playing games.


This is somewhat ironic because I married Ryan who while we were dating told me numerous times that he didn't care much for games. He must really love me - because we play games pretty much every weekend with friends and family. :)

But I digress. Back to my competitive spirit. Another way to bring out my competitive edge is add my friend Karen to the equation. I have never had a sister but I imagine that it would be THAT kind of competitive intensity.

So.... we both have our own "fitness" goals if you will. Of course we couldn't do it with out adding a little competition to the mix - so she is on a high protein program and I have decided to go on a 1400 calorie a day program. We are both going on a business trip in March to Phoenix and want to be atleast a size or two smaller.


Reason's why Tara might win:
- still get to eat sweets - in moderation
- still get to eat carbs - in moderation
- exercise = bonus calories!
- every pound is another reason to go shopping for new clothes
- to prove a point

Reason's why Tara might lose:
- high protein can melt away the fat really fast - thus discouraging me to carry on because of inability to catch up to Karen.
- Playing games almost requires yummy snacks with high calories
- short attention span
- too old - body doesn't work like it used to.

So wish us both luck and hopefully I will have some good news to report in a month or so.
p.s. If you are considering the Wii Fit as something to help you with your own fitness goals - be prepared to feel TOTALLY crappy about yourself after your "Body Analysis" is complete. :)

4 comments:

  1. My next big purchase is a Wii fit...so thanks for the warning! It'll probably just flash up a screen that says, "There is no help for you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reasons why Karen might win:

    - Can't stand to lose...especially to Tara.
    - I have actually been really strict on my diet, except for like 2 or 3 tiny cheats.
    - I don't take the weekend off.
    - My diet doesn't stave and depress me. (Ok...depresses me a bit when I hear about your yummy bread and dipping oil!)
    - My husband is on the same diet, thus making me more likely to not cheat. I am already losing to him.

    Reasons why Karen might lose:

    - Tara and Ryan feeding me no-bake cookies.
    - Really really really miss the carbs.
    - Tara is really stubborn...I can see her going to like 1000 calories a day just to beat me.
    - Tara likes the gym a lot more then me.

    Bring it on. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you SEE what I have to deal with?!?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so funny Tara. I had no idea you had that competitive streak in you! And I totally know what you mean about the wii fit. I don't totally buy it. It said I gained 6 pounds in one day. Now, I'm not doubting I may have gained weight, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't 6 lbs!

    Good luck, hope you win!

    ReplyDelete